Kaye Don home

We first encounter Brooklands racing driver, Kaye Don, discharged from the Army and living in Anglesea Road Kingston-Upon-Thames. He lived there from 1920 to 1924, in which year he stayed for a short period with his racing engineer, Charles Cooper, in nearby Fassett Road. Cooper's famous son, John, was one year old. During 1924, Don also lived in London. An address in the Mile End Road is now an Islamic centre and that in Basinghall St has been swallowed up by city re-development. By 1926, Kaye Don was living in Bayswater.

Don was friendly with the van Hoorn family at Station Road, Hampton Wick, and was able to use that address as a base during his moves. In 1930, he wrote to the Times from "Rathmines", Sunbury-On-Thames, then, when he first married, in 1933, he was living in Regent Street, right near Piccadilly Circus. That location is now a McDonald's restaurant. In 1938, with a young family, he was at Portmore Park Road, Weybridge. "Oakdene" has been demolished and replaced by an exclusive development, bearing the same name. In 1952, he was at "Marton", the house near Chobham, where he lived till his death in 1981.

The use of the name "Rathmines" appears to be a reference to a district of Dublin, possibly pointing to Kaye Don's birthplace.